Homespun: Modern Handmade is a boutique, gallery and workshop devoted to contemporary handmade goods. We are located on the east end of Mass Ave in downtown Indianapolis, IN. We sell the work of more than 300 artists, crafters and makers from across the U.S. and Canada. Our products range from jewelry to bath & body products, artisanal foods to stationery, prints to 3D art, housewares to apparel and more.
Founded in July, 2010, Homespun is an outgrowth of the INDIEana Handicraft Exchange, central Indiana’s first contemporary craft fair.
- Amanda (AKA "Bosslady")Co-Owner & Shopkeep
Amanda spends her days communicating with vendors and searching for new handmade goodies to stock the shelves. And building the staff schedule. And making payments. And interviewing and hiring people. And organizing the INDIEana Handicraft Exchange. All the things. She does them, with the help of her amazing staff. Previously an elementary school art teacher, and a photographer by trade, Amanda was a vendor at an early Renegade Craft Fair selling Polaroid transfers and emulsion lifts.
- First ever Homespun purchase"The First 1000 Days" baby journal from Nikki McClure
- Favorite NBJ juice or smoothie flavorHomespun Heaven
- Favorite karaoke song"Don't Stop Believin'" by Journey. But only if my husband is singing it. I don't sing.
- Favorite thing about IndyRight now, the Cultural Trail. It adds a whole new level of vibrancy to our city.
- Favorite locally-owned businessTuttle Orchards, Traders Point Creamery, Mass Ave Toys, Just Pop In!, New Day Meadery...those are just a few, but this list could go on and on and on
- Neal(Not-So-Silent) Co-Owner
Neal thought that opening a store would be a great idea and Amanda believed him. He thought that he’d help out for the first year and could move on to the next thing. That never happened. He’s not involved in daily operations, but his head is never too far from the store. A retired rock and roller, he has a professional job…elsewhere.
- First ever Homespun purchaseIf you don't count the store itself, the "I'm IN Love" tee from Megan Lee Designs
- Favorite NBJ juice or smoothie flavorAnything sweet + wheat grass
- Favorite mealChanna masala, chicken tikka masala, vegetable pakora & naan
- Favorite thing about IndyIts potential
- Favorite movie quote"If you're gonna shoot, shoot, don't talk." - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
- (The Other) AmandaOperations Manager
Every interaction with Homespun: Modern Handmade is a story. From new employee orientation to visual merchandising, marketing to event planning, gallery coordination to charitable giving, as our Operations Manager, Amanda is here to ensure that those stories have happy endings. To see just part of Amanda’s daily work at Homespun, check out the store’s social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest).
- First ever Homespun purchaseBlock print bunny pillow from Art Goodies
- Favorite BookEverything is Illuminated by Jonathon Safran Foer
- Favorite Song to Sing at Karaoke:Colors of the Wind - you best believe!
- Favorite MealDoes all the chocolate and wine count?
- First law you ever brokeShhhhh...
- MeganInventory Manager
All snark and no bite, Megan is OG Amanda’s organizational id come to life, managing inventory as it flows into and out of the store and decorating the stock room with a constellation of neatly written post-it notes. She’s also been known to break out some awesome moves on the trampolines at SkyZone.
- First ever Homespun purchase"Sassy" Perfume from Aromi
- Favorite NBJ juice or smoothie flavorSweet Tart
- Favorite mealAnything I can eat outside!
- Favorite book"King Dork" by Frank Portman
- NicknameMa, Megaroni, Leggo My Meggo
- LeeBlogger & Social Media Assistant
Former-Lee our social media manager, this newish mom pens three regular blog posts at HomespunIndy.com – “This Week at the Shop,” “How-To,” and “Meet Your Maker” – as well as coordinating our massive annual employee holiday gift guide. Lee also binds notebooks and journals under the name ReadWriteBooks.
- First ever Homespun purchaseLetterpress Cards from Katydid
- Favorite NBJ juice or smoothie flavorThe Refresher
- Favorite mealMy Dad's BBQ
- Favorite locally-owned businessesThe Inventorialist, Printext & LUNAmusic
- Favorite childhood TV show"Sesame Street"
- RanaStaff Photographer
Rana takes pretty pictures, like the ones on this page. She operates Salame Jewelry Designs and Rana Salame Photography and keeps the store staff happy with homemade baked goods and treats.
- First ever Homespun purchaseCuff Bracelet from Gleeful Peacock
- Favorite NBJ juice or smoothie flavorThe Beastess, level 7 spicy
- Favorite karaoke songAmethyst by Hole (solo) or Where Is My Mind? by The Pixies (duet)
- Favorite mealLebanese stuffed squash and grape leaves
- Favorite thing about IndyThe 100 Acre Wood at the IMA. It's the perfect spot for a picnic and it's free.
- AnnaSales Floor Manager
With an extensive background in retail and a positive attitude that won’t quit, Anna is the perfect addition to our team. She’s a smart, savvy dedicated leader who loves The Princess Bride, and she’s the kind of gal you can sit down and have a beer with (and she’ll be able to talk tasting-notes with you too) so naturally, she fits right in.
- Favorite thing about IndyIt's the biggest small town
- Favorite mealCheeseburger and sweet potato fries!
- Favorite Childhood CartoonRugrats
- NicknameAnna Banana
- First Law You Ever BrokeI stole nail polish in the 6th grade and cried about it later. Never. Again.
- Lexie "Lex"Assistant Manager
Sporting a smile for days and a fashion sense that we’re all jealous of, Lexie shines at assisting customers and helping lead our staff on the sales floor. She’s also a huge animal lover, so if you bring your dog into the shop, prepare for all the Lexie love.
- School and MajorIUPUI - Anthropology
- Favorite NBJ juice flavorSuper Squirrel
- Favorite MealBeer and Pizza
- Favorite song to sing at karaokeAll by myself by celine dion
- First Law you ever broke...I would never!
- ElijahSales Associate
Bearded and decked in prints or plaid, Elijah is smooth on the sales floor. His hipster cred goes deep as he collects records and kills it at pop trivia. -And when he’s not slingin’ handmade goods in our shop, you can find him at Herron School of Art & Design, completing his degree in Illustration.
- Favorite MealTacos - all day, everyday!
- Favorite locally-owned business in IndyHomespun - of course!
- Favorite childhood cartoonThe power puff girls
- Favorite thing about Indytons of rad food options!
- Celebrity doppelgängera tan, dark haired Seth Rogen perhaps?
- KelseeSales Associate
When Kelsee isn’t helping you pick out the perfect gift at Homespun, you might find her on the avenue at Mass Ave Pub, or onstage around Indy as a singer/actor, not to mention your TV screens in a few regional commercials. Yes, we have celebrities working here. Check out Kelsee at her website .
- School and MajorMillikin University - Musical Theatre & Stage Mgmt
- Favorite MealAll of the Mexican
- Favorite thing about IndyIt's turning into a great central hub for arts and local businesses!
- Favorite Repeat Vacation DestinationNYC - Nothing is ever the same visit to visit!
- NicknameKel-SHEE (if you're my nephew)
- ClaireSales Associate
If you come in the shop when Claire’s on the clock, prepare to smile and laugh (or listen to all our other staff laugh while working with her) – because that’s her main profession. Claire is an actress and comedian when she’s not at Homespun, working for Theater on The Square, participating in local shows, and doing stand-up. Just don’t call her Claire-Bear…trust us.
- First Ever Homespun PurchaseA cheeky greeting card and ceramic ring
- Favorite BookJitterbug Perfume - Tim Robbins
- Favorite Thing about IndyThe Cultural Trail and Fringe Festival
- Favorite Movie Quote"Now that I have my coffee, I'm ready to watch radar." - Spaceballs
- (Acceptable) NicknameClur
- MarieSales Associate
Marie brings style and sass to the Homespun crew. She’s a recent Indy transplant by way of NYC and she’s already Hoosier proud! She loves the downtown vibe and the potential of our growing city, otherwise you can find her on the “Eastside, baby!”
- First ever Homespun purchase407 Botanicals body lotion in citrus
- Favorite song to sing at karaokeGavin DeGraw - Chariot
- Favorite bookJudy Moody Series by Megan McDonald
- Favorite childhood toyPlay-Doh
- Celebrity doppelgängerBetty Boop
- MarkSales Associate
In Sobro or rocking a bolo, Mark brings a fierce ever revolving style to the Homespun crew. Mark moonlights in the land of highlights as a cosmetologist.
- Favorite NGJ juice flavorCitrus Attack
- Favorite locally-owned business in IndyThe Sinking Ship
- Favorite movie quote"We're wrecking like trains."- Jesus' Son
- Favorite childhood cartoonAnimaniacs
- Favorite childhood toyBarbie
- MargoSeasonal Sales Associate
Sporty spice, spunky spice, or sleepy spice, whatever spice she may be, Margo is definitely a well seasoned pro.
- First ever Homespun purchaseWood cheese knife by Dickinson Woodworking
- Favorite mealAnything with corn & mashed potatoes
- Favorite locally-owned business in IndyCalvin Fletcher Coffee
- Favorite childhood cartoonRugrats
- Favorite movie quote"It's levioosa, not leviosaa!"-Hermione Granger
- CarrieSales Associate
Fun fact about Carrie is that boss lady Amanda was once her elementary school art teacher! Now she’s all grown-up and one of our smiling faces here at Homespun. Her nickname is Sunshine, so come see her on a rainy day.
- First ever Homespun purchaseBoston Terrier Tee by Megan Lee Designs
- Favorite mealVegan tacos
- Favorite bookSlaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
- Favorite thing about IndyI love that it's bike friendly!
- Favorite movie quote"I love smiling, smiling's my favorite!" - Elf
- IanSeasonal Sales Associate
Ian isn’t a snowbird but he spends his time between Indy and Florida while studying musical theatre at FSU, so maybe that makes him our resident songbird! His chipper smile and many faces bring joy to our squad.
- First ever Homespun purchaseKnit beard by Jo Designs
- Favorite NBJ juice flavorthe PBJ
- Favorite movie quote"Reach for the stars." - Toy Story
- Favorite childhood cartoonJimmy Neutron
- Celebrity doppelgängerPeter Gallagher
- GregSeasonal Inventory Assistant & Year-Round Amanda's Dad
Amanda’s dad is a retired gent who keeps lively amongst the hustle and bustle of handmade. If we are swamped he’s definitely on the frontline, and we couldn’t appreciate it more. He can otherwise be found refurbishing vintage fans, his craftsmanship will blow you away. Wink.
- PepperShop Pup
The sometimes naughty, but always sweet, Pepper the Shop Pup has joined our Homespun Team. She provides stress relief, constant licks and puppy breath smells, and cuddles our staff while they’re on break. She’s a mix between a Dachshund and a Chihuahua – more fondly known as a “Chiweenie.” You may see her on the Sales Floor from time to time, when she’s not napping in our back office.
- Favorite Karaoke SongJust Push It - Salt-N-Pepper
- Favorite Thing about IndyAll my friends live here!
- Favorite Childhood ToyMy fuzzy fox and my little tennis ball
- Favorite MealSometimes I find scraps on the floor - don't tell mom!
- First Law You Ever Broke...chewing on the staff's sweaters and shoes. Whoops!