Homespun: Modern Handmade is a boutique, gallery and workshop devoted to contemporary handmade goods. We are located on the east end of Mass Ave in downtown Indianapolis, IN. We sell the work of more than 300 artists, crafters and makers from across the U.S. and Canada. Our products range from jewelry to bath & body products, artisanal foods to stationery, prints to 3D art, housewares to apparel and more.
Founded in July, 2010, Homespun is an outgrowth of the INDIEana Handicraft Exchange, central Indiana’s first contemporary craft fair.
- Amanda (AKA "Bosslady")Co-Owner & Shopkeep
Amanda spends her days communicating with vendors and searching for new handmade goodies to stock the shelves. And building the staff schedule. And making payments. And interviewing and hiring people. And organizing the INDIEana Handicraft Exchange. All the things. She does them, with the help of her amazing staff. Previously an elementary school art teacher, and a photographer by trade, Amanda was a vendor at an early Renegade Craft Fair selling Polaroid transfers and emulsion lifts.
- First ever Homespun purchase"The First 1000 Days" baby journal from Nikki McClure
- Favorite NBJ juice or smoothie flavorHomespun Heaven
- Favorite karaoke song"Don't Stop Believin'" by Journey. But only if my husband is singing it. I don't sing.
- Favorite thing about IndyRight now, the Cultural Trail. It adds a whole new level of vibrancy to our city.
- Favorite locally-owned businessTuttle Orchards, Traders Point Creamery, Mass Ave Toys, Just Pop In!, New Day Meadery...those are just a few, but this list could go on and on and on
- Neal(Not-So-Silent) Co-Owner
Neal thought that opening a store would be a great idea and Amanda believed him. He thought that he’d help out for the first year and could move on to the next thing. That never happened. He’s not involved in daily operations, but his head is never too far from the store. A retired rock and roller, he has a professional job…elsewhere.
- First ever Homespun purchaseIf you don't count the store itself, the "I'm IN Love" tee from Megan Lee Designs
- Favorite NBJ juice or smoothie flavorAnything sweet + wheat grass
- Favorite mealChanna masala, chicken tikka masala, vegetable pakora & naan
- Favorite thing about IndyIts potential
- Favorite movie quote"If you're gonna shoot, shoot, don't talk." - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
- (The Other) AmandaOperations Manager
From product photography to visual merchandising, marketing to event planning, gallery coordination to charitable giving, as our Operations Manager, Amanda does a lot to keep our store running. To see just part of Amanda’s daily work at Homespun, check out the store’s social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest).
- First ever Homespun purchaseBlock print bunny pillow from Art Goodies
- Favorite BookEverything is Illuminated by Jonathon Safran Foer
- Favorite Song to Sing at Karaoke:Colors of the Wind - you best believe!
- Favorite MealDoes all the chocolate and wine count?
- First law you ever brokeShhhhh...
- HayleyInventory Manager
Coffee, cats, and anything nerdy – those are all things Hayley. A recent Indy transplant, Hayley splits her time between slingin’ handmade with us as our new Inventory Manager and nurturing her own crafty business of nerdy necklaces on Etsy at HayCanMake.
- FIRST EVER HOMESPUN PURCHASENARWHAL EARRINGS BY ISETTE
- FAVORITE BOOKANYTHING BY JOHN GREEN
- FAVORITE THING ABOUT INDYSO FAR... THE PEOPLE. EVERYONE IS GENUINELY NICE HERE.
- FAVORITE MOVIE QUOTE"WHAT THE WORLD NEEDS IS A RETURN TO SWEETNESS AND DECENCY." - AUDREY HEPBURN FROM ROMAN HOLIDAY
- NICKNAMEHAY, BUT MY DAD STILL CALLS ME DOODLE OR PEEP
- EricaKey Holder
Erica has a smile that just won’t quit and a positive attitude that’ll turn even the hardest of pessimists upside down. With a background in Fine Art from Herron School of Art & Design, Erica is killin’ it at the display game in store! When she’s not working in our shop, she fosters her own art career as a muralist and painter under the name Vivrant Thaang. See her work here.
- Favorite NBJ juice flavorSunburn with CBD
- favorite mealfried chicken and collard greens
- favorite thing about IndyI love the ability to ride my bike all over the city
- Favorite repeat vacation destinationCocoa Beach, FL - Hanging with my surf rats, skating, and eating ice cream at The Fat Donkey!
- NicknameTater Tot
- PepperShop Pup
The sometimes naughty, but always sweet, Pepper the Shop Pup has joined our Homespun Team. She provides stress relief, constant licks and puppy breath smells, and cuddles our staff while they’re on break. She’s a mix between a Dachshund and a Chihuahua – more fondly known as a “Chiweenie.” You may see her on the Sales Floor from time to time, when she’s not napping in our back office.
- Favorite Karaoke SongJust Push It - Salt-N-Pepper
- Favorite Thing about IndyAll my friends live here!
- Favorite Childhood ToyMy fuzzy fox and my little tennis ball
- Favorite MealSometimes I find scraps on the floor - don't tell mom!
- First Law You Ever Broke...chewing on the staff's sweaters and shoes. Whoops!